Learning to Cope after a Texas Wrongful Death Suit

After losing a loved one in an accident, most people are inconsolable and very confused. If that person died because of another person's negligence, you are faced with your grief, as well as having to decide whether or not to file a wrongful death suit. Those who do work with a lawyer to start a wrongful death case may focus so intently on getting justice for their loved one that they don't give themselves time to stop and deal with their emotions. Once your wrongful death case has been settled, it's important to discover coping mechanisms that will help you face your sadness.

  • Let other people help you. When you are grieving, it can be hard to accomplish everyday tasks like doing the dishes, going grocery shopping, or mowing the lawn. If other people offer to help you, let them. And if you know that you need help, don't be afraid to ask.
  • Remember the person you lost. Some people tend to respond to death by shutting down and refusing to even think about the person that passed away. You should really be doing the opposite - look at pictures, watch old videos, reminisce about the good times. Keeping that person's memory alive will make you feel better in the long run.
  • Don't be afraid to cry. Many individuals think that crying is a sign of weakness, but when you're grieving, crying is important. Many emotions come out when you cry and it's a vital part of the coping process.
  • Keep a routine. Depression has a way of throwing people in to a funk, and they begin to miss meals, stop exercising, and even forget to shower regularly. Unfortunately, breaking routine once will usually cause it to continually happen. If you let yourself get off-track, it can be hard to get back on-track.

Remember, you need to give yourself time to heal. It may take days, months or even years, but you need to go easy on yourself.

If you lost a loved one in an accident and you think you may have a wrongful death suit on your hands, call Austin attorney Earl Straight for a free consultation at 512-454-1331.