If I suffered damages to my home and personal property in the West fertilizer plant explosion, but I had insurance, can I still file a claim?



Absolutely.  Property damages from the West fertilizer plant explosion, or any industrial accident for that matter, may include damages to your home or business, autos and personal property.  Damages to your home and your belongings is typically covered by your homeowner's insurance, or renter's insurance if you are renting the property.  Damages to your auto can be covered by your auto insurance, but only if you have the right coverage.  Even if you have insurance, you may not be fully compensated for your losses.  Some policies only cover a percentage of your loss, some policies cover market value while others cover replacement cost, and there are always disputes as to the true value of your property, especially personal property.  For these reasons, you may not be fully compensated for all of your losses even after making a claim with your own insurance company.  You have the right to file a claim against the party or parties responsible for the accident, or the explosion in this case, to collect the remaining damages owed to you for your losses.